Monday, October 3, 2011

111 Again (Day 28)

It is a proud moment here. I have collected all my photographs of every house numbered 111 in Venice. (If you're wondering why I'm doing this see my blog from day 24). It has meant that I've had to explore each Sestierre of Venice, and wander around all the back streets, so I think it's been a useful excercise to help me aquaint myself with the city.

I'm sure you're itching to see them, so let me begin...Here is 111 from San Marco. It's actually on St Mark's square, probably a jewely shop or something expensive.


The best thing about this one is the paint that has worn off in the shape of a sheep.


One thing I've really enjoyed about taking these pictures is the puzzled looks I've got off other visitors. They look at me, at my camera, study where its pointing and then look confused and panicked as if they're missing something they should also be taking a picture of.

Next up is San Polo. This looks like an empty shop. It's right in the Rialto market between the arches on Calle De La Sicurta. I had to endure loud German pop music blaring out of a nearby bar to take this shot, but it was worth it.


Sante Croce's 111 is a clothes shop on Salizzada San Pantalon, not far from the station.


Dorsoduro had the finest offering. It is the Ca' Maria Adele hotel right next to the Santa Maria Della Salute. If you look around the side it even has it's own landing stage complete with fake grass.




After finding four relatively easily I hit upon a problem. Castello. I had been wondering what happens if you want to add a house or remove a doorway in Venice, well it turns out you just leave it out or start adding letters onto your neighbours number. So Castello has no number 111. It goes from 110 to 112.




This is where 111 used to be, on Salizado Streta.



On my mission to find this 111 I came across a gate. I should have read it as a warning of my impending failure.



I also found a gnome prison.



So now my project was looking a bit pathetic. I only had to find six houses and it turned out one didn't exist anymore.

I decided I should carry on and look for the last site in Cannaregio. This is where my luck changed. I'm a bit of a believer in natural order and things balancing up (if you ever get the chance, or the inclination, you should try a little game I like to play where you add up all the lost/discarded shoes and gloves you see for a whole day. Invariably they equal out. Spooky).

Amazingly Cannaregio has two 111's to make up for Castello's lack. 111A and 111B. They both seem to not be in use anymore, a detail I am willing to overlook. 111A has actually become a window, not a door, but I can forgive that too. They are situated down a small alleyway called Calle Priuli dei Cavaletti, and are part of the Hotel Bellini next to the station.



So there you have it, all six property in Venice with the number 111.

No comments:

Post a Comment