Saturday, October 15, 2011

Changes afoot (Day 39)

I’ve started to wind down, and get ready for going home. I have the weekend left and then I’ll be on a train back to Cardiff. I’m looking forward to being back on home turf. Today is the first time I’ve spoken Welsh in Venice and it made me a bit homesick again. I’ve had lots of people come up and talk to me about the Rugby tomorrow and wish us luck, and I’ve tried to look like I know what they’re talking about. A woman came in and complimented me on my strong Welsh accent. I didn’t want to disappoint her so went along with it. She’ll never know.  

The weather has properly turned now. Yesterday a strong cold wind arrived from the North, known as the Bora, which signifies a change in the seasons. It will be cold from now on. The sun is lower in the sky and larger, setting almost as soon as we leave work.


The water is high too, splashing up over the pavement.


It’s been nice to experience this change in season and see another side to Venice, but it’s also made me start to think about going home, back to a cosy house, friends and family. To romanticise it a bit, it’s like in the film Chocolat, when the North wind blows through the village, and they know that it’s time to move on. As Roman tells me (a photographer who has his studio opposite us), “you don’t want to come to Venice in the winter, it’s shit”.
We went to the spritz bar after work with some friends and drank until it was too cold to stay outside. Some skaters went passed, which is quite a novel sight in Venice. I’m not sure where they were going, but if you asked Roman he’d probably say “you don’t want to come to Venice to skate, it’s shit”.



At midnight Sam and I headed to St Marks square to watch some musicians we had met earlier today. They told us they were travelling around Europe playing for people who are out on the streets in the early hours of the morning, mainly homeless people.

One of them was an artist and architect from Australia who designs sensory saunas and plays ‘prescription’ music. Apparently a doctor will give him a prescription and he will play to the rhythm of the patient’s heartbeat while they look at a lightbox with different coloured stained glass. That’s a very basic rendition of his story, he was much more eloquent. He had Venice trainers.



They didn’t actually play much music, and most of the time we hung around chatting but they were very friendly and another of their acquaintances gave us some Lithuanian cake that is made without an oven. If there is no blog tomorrow you know why!

No comments:

Post a Comment