Thursday, September 8, 2011

Art (Day 3)

I awoke this morning and decided it was high time I went to see some art. So I set off in the direction I was sure would lead to the Mexican pavillion but half an hour later (this is no elaboration) I emerged from an alleyway to be deposited back where I had started, outside the apartment. I've heard that to truly get to know your way around Venice you have to get truly lost...hmmmm. How many times?

Anyway, when I finally made it to my destination the exhibition did not dissapoint. The artist (Melanie Smith)'s statement and accompanying blurb was a bit wordy and over complicated, but if you like watching videos of little tuk tuk's buzzing around deserted landscapes carrying strange cargoes or close up paintings of nipples then this is the exhibition for you. It is presented in a grand old building, interesting in itself, and includes a cabinet of curiosities room that felt like the artist was displaying a three dimensional sketchbook.

On to Singapore and a theatrical extravaganza, then to Iraq which was possibly my favourite of the day. There is a brilliant video by Adel Abidin called 'Consumption of War' that although its subject matter is deeply distressing and poignant, the way in which it is executed with two businessmen fighting childishly with fluorescent strip lights Star Wars-style, ridicules and highlights the futility and absurdity of war with humour, adding to its impact in my opinion. There is also a piece at the entrance by Walid Siti, which at first looks a bit naff (sorry but I can't think of a better word) but coming down the stairs when leaving you realise that this strange construction of red material and mirror plastic has created a reflection on the lobby floor to imitate a watery surface exactly, hinting at the exhibition's title Aqua Ferita (Wounded Water). Some work could have been better presented, and there is definately too much of it, but for a first show at Venice, I'm pretty impressed.

From all the days observations I was left wondering about the Biennale itself, and inparticular the display of film and video. There is such an amount to see, that as well as becoming a bit numb, you can also miss the point sometimes, especially with video when you walk in half way through, see the end and then the beginning. Sometimes that doesn't matter so much (as with Mexico) but sometimes the narrative and crescendo of the piece needs to be viewed in the correct order, in it's entireity (as with Singapore). If I was to spend half an hour in each pavillion in the Giardini alone it would take fourteen and a half hours to get around, the collatoral and offsite pavillions another fourty three and a half, and then the Arsenale a life time probably. So thats at least fifty seven hours, or about six days with no breaks. It's basically impossible.

And finally, after all that deep thought, here a little something that has popped up all over Venice in different disguises. When I googled the name a website came up that makes me think Banksy himself is up to no good again...
http://www.marcantoineleval.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment