Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's hot and what's not (Day 17)

I've been here a while now, started to find my way around, feeling a bit more at home and had a chance to observe the city. I've been keeping a list (I like lists) of what I think are the best things about Venice, and the not so best things. So I think it's about time I posted it up. I will add anything else I discover throughout the rest of my stay here.

Venice's good points
  1. Spritz con Aperol, or just a cheap prosecco is nice too
  2. Grapes that taste like strawberries (I think they're called Fragola?)
  3. No cars or traffic and having to get around by boat, it's novel for me I suppose
  4. It's beautiful and unique
  5. There's water everywhere, I think that being around water makes you happy
  6. Outdoor/alfresco living and dining, in the Summer and Autumn at least
  7. There are hardly any roudy drunks (which comes hand in hand with alfresco drinking in the UK)
  8. Laid back slow pace of life
  9. All most everyone is really friendly
  10. Shops that will fill plastic bottles with wine
  11. All the contemporary art and old masters you could possibly wish for
  12. I feel very safe here, even late at night on my own
  13. Lots of dogs, but not as many cats as I'd hoped for
  14. The light is amazing, probably because of all the water reflecting it
  15. Chicetti
  16. Amazing architecture and views
  17. History and constantly finding out new stories, whether they're true or not
  18. Getting lost, or to put it another way consantly discovering new places!
Venice's not so good points
  1. McDonalds and Hard Rock Cafe
  2. Sore feet and sweating all day
  3. Menu turistico
  4. Mosquito bites
  5. Cruise liners
  6. Dog shit
  7. Tourists
  8. Missing home
  9. It can be claustrophobic and noisy
  10. Carrying everything and heavy bags
Thankfully there are more good than bad points! But we'll see how it looks by the end of my stay. I realise there are no pictures today so I'll leave you with another one of Venice's good points, sorry I couldn't help myself. A place can't be all that bad if there is a shop called 'Fanny' that sells leather goods...

No comments:

Post a Comment