Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A pattern emerges (Day 8)

I've been taking the same route everyday, twice, for a week now. It's a walk of approximately half an hour, and we've designed it so that we walk through all the little back streets instead of down the main drag. I've come to realise that there are certain things that are always the same.

This old lady is always sat on the same chair, in the same location when I walk past in the evening. She is also always talking to people. It's in Castello, which is really the only area left in Venice where lots of locals can afford to live so I'm guessing she's sitting outside her house.

Just around the corner, so for all I know they many be friends, is this dog. He is always lyeing on the floor in the same shop everyday. He tends to lye on the floor rather than in his little hamock bed because it's hot, and the floor is cold. He doesn't move much when customers walk in, they have to navigate around him. I say 'He', but he could be a 'She'.

Then when I get home and open the shutters to look out over the street and do a bit of people-watching there is another local inhabitant in his usual spot. This pigeon sleep in the same flower pot on the opposite apartment's balcony every night. He's usually there in the mornings too. Funny the pidgeon is also a 'He'. At first I thought he was dead, but he's just very lazy!


A few things from my walk home that don't happen everyday but are worth mentioning... This couple were taking their holiday photos very seriously earlier. They positioned their tripod, the male got in position, female pressed the timer and then ran to join her lover in shot. They did a sickly kissing-and-pretending-the-camera-wasn't-there-pose, to show how much fun they were having. I'd like to think they were being ironic, or it was some kind of art project. I'm relieved I'm not one of their friends who has to look through their holiday snaps enthusiastically when they get home.



My path also crossed with this young fella. Now I thought that skateboards, bikes and all other forms of transport on wheels were banned in Venice, but since my previous visits the micro-scooter craze has taken off and the bl**dy things are everywhere. Glad to see this kid sticking to the original method, although it's probably not the best hobby to pursue in a cobbled, bridge filled city. Infact, being the missus of a skater myself, Venice was the only place where I would get his undivided attention as he always left his board at home. Don't think I will tell him about my discovery before his visit later this week or I'll be wandering the streets of Venice alone while he attempts ollies over the Rialto, or whatever it is they call those jump-thingys.


I also spottes a lovely little painting that I walk past everyday but have never noticed before above the door to a restaurant near the Arsenale.


And a dog that looks like he may have problems balancing due to the size of his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment