Monday, September 19, 2011

Cornucopia (Day 13)

Ok. Where to begin. I have a lot of different things to say today. It all started with some Nordic walking past the Welsh pavillion this morning.



This is an activity that I feel was much more fun as a spectator than a participant.

Then I went to look at some more art. We went to the Arsenale. I wasn't expecting much as I had been told it wasn't great. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I'm going to go back and look at it properly, especially queing for James Turrell, but for now my recommendations include... Roman Ondak, Mai-Thu Perret, Franz West, Ryan Gander, Haroon Mirza, Gerard Byrne, Elisabetta Benassi, Elad Lassry, Urs Fischer, Corinne Wasmuht, Christian Marclay, Gigi Scaria and Ayse Erkmen. There was a particularily weak effort from the Italian Pavillion. It was so crammed with artwork, displayed on strange white plastic coat-rails, but one work stood out for me....Greta Frau.


There was quite a lot of large scale 'kitsch' sculpture which seems to be making a comeback. I have to admit I was quite dissapointed as to how well the artworks were being kept and maintained this year. There was a lot of dirt, dust and fingerprints and the grubby face marks around the Croatia pavillion videos were pretty unforgivable. Part of me wonders whether it was meant to be like this as the work was about residue, but I'm fairly sure it's not.

So onto my next topic...For the last few days there have been loads of police around in Venice. They have guns and riot shields but don't really look like they mean business, they just seem to stand around talking and checking their phones. From what I can make out there is a referendum and protests going on, but I haven't been witness to any. I feel a bit out of the loop as I haven't been checking the news. Anything could have happened in the world and I would be none the wiser. It's like a little venice bubble. It's quite nice really, but maybe next week I will get back in touch with reality.


And another completely unrelated event...I know this sounds stupid but it rained today and it was lovely!! The first rain since I got here. Obviously we were stranded in a bar drinking Spritz until it subsided, and being fiercly told by the bloke who has his studio opposite us that we should be drinking beer or we'd be in danger of getting drunk.


And now to my final and last topic. I want to finish this blog with a big congratulations to two friends who've decided they like each other enough to spend the rest of their lives togther...that's pretty impressive. Congratulations guys! They got engaged last night, and there was me thinking it would just be another normal day. Venice's reputation as the city of love is upheld.

No comments:

Post a Comment