Tuesday, September 13, 2011

One week down, five to Go (Day 7)

So it's the end of my first week in Venice. As a Cancerian I'm a rather homely individual who doesn't adapt well to change or being away from my personal possessions for great lengths of time (It took me a good few days to pack for this trip and I have brought some useless items with me just to make myself feel at home, as well as far too many shoes). But for all my whinging I'm really enjoying myself, and looking forward to some days off next week to go around the Biennale properly.

It was everyones day off today so to let our hair down we decided to embrace the tackier side of Venice (yes that's right, the sort of thing I was slagging off yesterday), well it had to be done. We started in a bar near the Rialto where the landlady's son, bored of being ignored by his mum, was putting on amusing dance performances for any clientele that would humour him. He seemed to have rehearsed for the occaision. The bar was playing all the classics, I managed to catch the Bee Gees on camera.


We moved on to Bacaro Jazz at Happy Hour, where you can get two for one cocktails, but only if you have two each! So you can't actually save any money, unless you are willing to hand over your bra to the bar man, in which case they hang it from the ceiling and you get a drink for free. I'm a classy bird so I didn't partake in such antics, but many before me have, as the picture below illustrates. The musical choice here was even better... Justin Timberlake, Michael Buble and Jamie Cullum being particular favourites.



The we went to buy crap souveniers for our beloveds, I'm sure they'll be really chuffed!



Just time to drop friends off at the station and head to Ospedale, and to a lovely, very untacky, bar for drinks with the Scottish and Irish pavillions again. It was called Ostaria Al Ponte just off Campo S.S. Giovanni e Paolo, had an amazing selection of wine by the glass for 2 euros, and lovely food. I can highly recommend it if you are coming to Venice over the next few weeks, I may even see you there. A definate new local for us. It's small and friendly, and you can sit on the steps outside.


Oh, and we found a sign that made us chuckle...


...and bumped into some more four legged friends. He looks like he's smiling.


All in all, a very relaxing day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment